Tuesday, April 25, 2006

# 141 SEWING GENIUS? yes!

A few observations just to set the context of this post. First, I’ve always been quite aware I can’t do more than one thing at a time. I have extreme difficulty with he who would try and lip sync or sign something to me while I’m on the phone. I cannot read with a radio or TV on. I cannot write without total silence and non-interruption. I cannot drive while talking on a cell phone. It’s not as if I don’t know.

Now normally it takes no more than a couple hours for me to zip up a pair of slacks. But this time that was not going to happen. To begin with I couldn’t find my standard pattern so I had to use a new one. That meant measuring and some pattern adjustments that took extra time. And then when the sewing just got nicely going, I was interrupted by visitors.

Now I had marked the front pieces in order to separate them from the back as they are very similar but later when I got back to my sewing I couldn’t remember which ones I had marked. Then another interruption, more visitors, and when I got back to my sewing I promptly sewed both pockets shut. Now ripping and tearing to get that corrected. Now we’re finally making good progress when another neighbor stops in for his annual visit to make arrangements for Hub to cultivate his garden.

And now we are on day two of the pant construction and frustration is building. So now I am sewing like a fiend to get the damn things done. Finally I have them completed and go to the bedroom to try them on just to check the leg length. Hub yells from the front room, “Come here, let me see how your new pants fit.”

I strut my stuff in the livingroom and model them for him. “My God,” he says, “Are those ever nice? They fit perfectly in both the front and back which is not always the case when you sew slacks with an elastic waistband? How did you get them to fit so nicely this time?”

“I don’t know,” I said, with a shrug, “I guess because I used a different pattern.”

I returned to the bedroom to remove my pants and that’s when I noticed what I had done. I had sewn the pants together backwards with side pockets attached to the backs of the pants rather than the fronts. You see what I meant about interruptions. This is the damage they do. But at this point, I was far too frustrated to contemplate any correction. I put my slacks back on and examined them in the full-length mirror. And guess what? Hub was right. Tailor-fit, yes.

That’s when I concluded something else as well. Obviously Pattern People (those who make sewing patterns) assume that every woman in the whole wide world has a flat tummy and large buxom buns. But as one ages that is not necessarily true. Over the years and with the passage of time my flat bum has got flatter and the flat tummy of my youth has got quite pudgy. So you see, this is how pants should be sewn when one reaches the other side of mid-life. It was unintentional, but don't you think it was truly a genius move?

5 Comments:

Blogger goldenlucyd said...

Roberta,
What a great post! I've been offline for a few days so I was delighted to find new goodies for me here. Also, congrats on making a great splash at Ronni's today. Her post really picked up on what you wrote. Think I'll go back overthere and say so!
See you soon,
lucyd

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your post with the link I picked up at TGB.

You've almost inspired me to take the old Singer up for refurbishing, dragging out some of the 30 yr old material from the linen closet, buying a new pattern ... and if I understood you correctly, sewing it up backwards so it will fit.

Looks like you've found a new niche and can start a new business for all of us with not-so-flat tummies anymore.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Hi goldenlucyd, always so pleased to see you particularly since things get a bit hectic at your place. With all the visitors you have, you just amaze me with your tracking of others and personalized comments like this one. As distracted as I am, I might have overlooked it and that would never do. Also I'm glad you enjoyed this post.

Welcome joared. Thanks for visiting. I have to admit that for some patterns you might want to reconsider. It could prove a bit awkward to do up a fly zipper in the middle of one's back. But for elastic-waisted pull-ups, this back to front approach seems to work just fine. But you better get out the old Singer. I don't expect to be pursuing this as a full-time business. Too many interruptions.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberta...I can't sew a single stitch but I do appreciate true genius in any art or skill.

Please drop over to my place and see the entry I posted especially for you.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Thanks for the follow-up, clarence. Hazel is looking really great. You are without a doubt a compassionate care-giver.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home