Tuesday, October 10, 2006

# 189 ANOTHER MELT DOWN

Are you following along because somehow, by default, these last few blogs are developing into a bit of a 'Somber Saga'? Eldest Daughter (ED) is on a road trip and with so many miles between her and home, she pulled up my blog on her phone to see what was up. When she read my last blog about MD’s melt down over a couple of bees, she decided to forego reading the ‘Honeybee Whispers’ story. Her thought being that if MD was brought to tears, she would probably weep as well. So with thoughts aimed at emotional ‘self-preservation’, she discontinued reading my blog and stopped at a news-stand for a newspaper instead.

And in that newspaper she read an article about the Amish school shooting. Including the fact, that in the midst of such sadness, here were men and women with such faith in God, that they held no ill will or malice toward the assailant or his family. They not only gave voice to their forgiveness, they expressed it further by visiting the murderer’s family and inviting them to the funerals of their dear children.

ED was so awestruck. Stunned by the revelation that in out-of-the-way places, there still exist those with such kind and loving hearts. And so, when she phoned me, she was having an even more massive meltdown than MD had a day or two before.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Oakley said...

It was very moving that these people were so generous and good. I just wonder if this terrible incident is bringing America any closer to the idea of restricting guns - to most of us in the UK, nobody's freedom to defend themselves with a gun is worth the inevitable consequent loss of innocent lives. Over here the Dunblane primary school shooting was enough for us to outlaw them altogether - which I am sure will have saved some lives. I appreciate that on this issue there is a huge historical and cultural difference between our countries, which I can't comprehend from the perspective of an American.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

I agree julie, that Americans are too easy when it comes to guns, but I'm not sure what the solution would be. There's no point in copying the Canadian template for a gun registry. Millions have been poured into the program and it is a total fiasco that can never be fixed no matter how much money they throw at it. Unfortunately because I live in the country with wildlife treading through my yard, including bears, I cringe at a total ban. Yet, what I want most is for children to be safe. Every day I hear of instances of children being harmed and that is where I think the focus should be. I discussed my feelings on this in a blog (# 129 - MY PRAYER AND PLEA FOR THE CHILDREN).

Thanks for commenting julie. It is great to know that outlawing guns completely is working for your area.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home