Thursday, May 12, 2005

# 28 LET YOUR SUB-CONSCIOUS DO ITS WORK

A few days ago, Hub made the dreaded trip to town. He shouldn’t have gone – he had a pounding headache when he left home. Anyway going to town was not the cure. In town it didn’t get better. It just got worse.

First Hub went to the post office, then to the bank, but on leaving the bank, he found that his vision was blurring, and he felt dizzy. It was bad enough, debilitating enough, that he went to the Doctor’s Office. The Doc was concerned and immediately wrote him a prescription for some meds that he was to take immediately. So after leaving the Doctor’s office, Hub walked the short distance to the Drugstore, picked up his prescription, then headed back to the bank to get his truck.

It was gone. Hub looked all around but his truck was gone. How annoying is that? You have a pounding headache, your eyes won’t focus, your head is swirling, and now you have to contact the police because someone stole your truck?

So now Hub wandered back to the street where the Doctor is located, trying to clear his head enough to decide what to do next. Suddenly, he looked up the street, and there was his truck sitting pretty as you please right in front of the Doc’s Office. But Hub was distressed, very distressed, because he didn’t remember driving his truck from the bank to the Doctor’s Office. Apparently with his swirling head, he had a four or five-minute lapse of memory.

I tried to be sympathetic but it was difficult. I mean, why would someone be overly anxious over a four-minute gap? Pffft!

I mentally debated. Should I tell him I don’t remember what I had for breakfast or even if I ate? Should I tell him the window trim I have been painting is slightly screwed up because on the second day I forgot what the initial plan was? When Hub came home and asked where Dough-Gee dog was, should I tell him I don’t remember if I saw him this morning? And that I don’t know if anyone phoned while he was gone? With his obvious distress over losing four-minutes out of his day, I decided, contrast and comparison would not be helpful, so I didn’t say anything. It seems there isn’t much relevance to his situation, even though I am losing great blocks of time out of every single day more rapidly than Dough-Gee is shedding his winter coat.

Anyway, Hub was quite useless for the rest of that day, but the next day he was feeling much better. It must have been a bit of a scare for him to do something so uncharacteristic as going to see the Doc. Anyway, he’s better and scheduled for a battery of tests to find out what caused his memory lapse. That is good.

But back to my original thought. Yesterday Mr. and Mrs. Nearby came by for coffee. Hub told them about the events of the previous day, his short-term loss of memory and his conviction that he didn’t move his truck, so it must have been stolen.

Mr. Nearby responded with these words of wisdom. “You know Hub, you need to learn to trust your sub-conscious mind. Let it do its work.”

I chuckled. Funny advice. But good advice.

Now obviously, it’s not a great idea to be driving a truck with one’s sub-conscious-mind in the driver’s seat, but nevertheless there is a lot of worth to this argument; especially with my memory problems. So starting right now, if anything confuses me and blurs my line of thinking, I’m not going to fret about it. That just perpetuates the problem. Instead I’m going to trust my subconscious mind and let it do its work!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's different, but pregnancy is having that same effect on my brain.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Hi Chasmyn, the wait will soon be over. I know from your discussions at your site that you are trusting your subconscious and allowing it to do its work in preparing for the new one's arrival. If the mind is fuzzy and forgetting -- I think that's because it's as hard to talk to someone in the room when your on the phone as it is to talk to someone in the room when you are communing with the most important one in your life at the moment, the soon-to-arrive wee babe.

9:13 AM  

<< Home