Friday, May 19, 2006

# 149 THE LUMPY FARMER

Today I planted my garden.
Tomorrow I want it to rain because I have…

Bread to bake
Perogies to make
A block of cheese to grate

(I buy big blocks of quality cheese and grate it for the freezer rather than buy it ready grated. That way I am less likely to get a blend of cheese and filler that is only one ingredient away from plastic.)

_________

And speaking of the garden, I need to tell you that in Hub’s enthusiasm to get the garden underway, he cultivated it when it was too wet. Now it is nothing but lumps. He’s done that before. I have pleaded with him numerous times not to do it but he ignored my pleas. He evidently has that farmer thing in his blood that loves the look of freshly turned soil – whether it be wet or dry.

But this year I got great backup for my side of the argument. While in town, Hub and I were stopped on the street by the town’s most notable chatterbox. During a reluctant exchange, I mentioned how lumpy my garden was. Ms Chatterbox took that minor comment and ran with it.

“You know what that’s from? That’s from cultivating the garden when it’s too wet. And it gets so lumpy that nothing can be done. My Dad ploughed my garden one year when it was too wet and it remained lumpy for three whole years afterwards.”

On and on she went, then without skipping a beat, she turned to Hub and said, “Who are you? The Lumpy Farmer?”

It was only a casual conversation but Hub bowed his head with shame. I was really pleased. Thanks to Ms Chatterbox, the Lumpy Farmer was finally humbled and I’m quite certain he will never do that again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carole Burant said...

Awwww poor Lumpy Farmer...but he had to learn!! lol We have quite a big vegetable garden but it's still too early to plant it yet...this weekend hubby wants to till it and then start planting a couple of rows of potatoes so that we get some early ones but it's been raining the last few days so everything might be too wet. At least he knows to wait until the right time lol

9:35 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

pea, Nice to hear there's no 'lumpy farmers' rooting around in your garden. Yesterday I parted the lumps and planted all the veggies and today we planted the potatoes (that's the part of gardening that thankfully is teamwork). I have planted them alone when Hub has been working but it goes a whole lot faster with two of us. It's nice now to have a few weeks of reprieve before the weeding and hoeing starts.

9:56 PM  
Blogger "ME" Liz Strauss said...

"The Lumpy Farmer." That sounds like a great name for a children's book. You and your granddaughter should write a story about the lumpy farmer next time that she comes to visit. :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

me strauss, you make me laugh. As upset as I was about the lumps (and the lumpy farmer), I'm not sure I could write a story that would qualify as a children's story. :D

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home