Saturday, November 12, 2005

# 75 ROMANTIC NOTIONS - Chapter 4

MODERN ROMANCE

The other day I passed a group of highschool students clumped together on a bit of grass adjacent to the sidewalk by the school. And as I walked past, I heard a discussion that I almost wished I hadn’t heard.

The text of that discussion went like this:
Ist VOICE: I can’t believe John is going out with Sharon, but he is. He always said he never would. He always said he didn’t like her. Even now he still says he doesn’t like her. That he wants to break up but she won’t leave him alone. That’s what he told me.

2nd VOICE: I know. I know. But it’s not his fault. John was tricked and I know exactly how it happened. You know when we all went to that all-night party at Kelly’s place. Kelly made John and Sharon sleep in the same bed and so when they woke up the next morning, they assumed they were a number. That’s why they’re going together.

By now I was close to 20 feet past the group of kids and wanting very much to do a Michael Jackson maneuver so that I could back up while appearing to retreat to hear the rest of this phenomenal discussion. I did throw down my purse to allow myself a momentary stall without being too obvious. And, No, to my utter disbelief, no one asked how Kelly ‘made’ them do that, no one asked how that line of thinking came to be, no one retorted that was total nonsense. All I could think was that all were satisfied with that explanation.

And now you’ll be wondering why I don’t flesh out my thoughts on the matter. I would if I could, but I can’t. The whole silly scenario is just too far beyond my comprehension to comment. But, nevertheless, this situation started me thinking about the future of our young people and that is the discussion I’ve reserved for my next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home