Wednesday, June 28, 2006

# 161 WHAT I BELIEVE

I blog because out there somewhere is a cyber crowd that care. At least that’s what I like to believe. Sometimes I even allow myself to believe they care more than the people directly involved in my personal life.

Now this belief is only one small sample of the many things I allow myself to believe that make life truly special. But in my heart I hold bushels of others. Emotional convictions that allow me luxuries similar to material collections of stained glass windows, soft Persian rugs, crystal chandeliers, famous first-rate paintings, and exotic gardens where fountains flow and bronze statues glitter in the sun. So if this is the kind of emotional lush-living I can have by allowing myself to believe a thing, why not allow myself the luxury of believing it? If what I believe supplements the sparse primitive crumbs of love, empathy, and compassion feebly clinging to my DNA that I was born with, why not?

The things we allow ourselves to believe (if carefully chosen) can be luxuries of great worth. Priceless gifts, like precious gems, that come at bargain-basement prices. Gifts that no one can deny us except ourselves. So I accept these gifts that come so cheaply. Why not accept all those convictions (that can never be solidly proved or disproved) that heal heartbreaks and turn the sour notes of life into song?

But then, like any skeptic, I begin to think. Should I be more cautious? Is there a hidden price to pay? Is this kind of thinking a symptom of some toxic phobia that I am unaware of?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah,what a beautiful beautiful sentiment and I believe it, too. From my childhood days when I used to look for signs of fairies in the wood (tiny footprints and mushroom rings)up to today when I take ordinary objects and count them as blessings and supernatural signs of good fortune. Feeling particularly sad the other day, I decided to walk through the woods and found a monarch butterfly following me ever so slowly. She fluttered above me, circled and lightly landed a few feet above me just so I could watch her. The clouds parted and the sun came shining through just at that moment that I looked up. God's personal message, just for me,"Look up, things are getting better". That's what I believe anyway. :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Hi esther, thanks for those beautiful sentiments of your own.

1:44 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

We all need something to believe in, it's what helps us get through our days. It's also a shame that so many people are missing out on the simple things life has to offer and instead believe in what money can get you. Believing in something, whether it's fact or fiction, has nothing to do with anybody else...it's YOUR belief and no one can take that away from you.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Pea, as you so often do, you truly summed that up in a touching way. I am intrigued at the idea that beliefs are theftproof. It is a truly comforting concept.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd you should mention this Roberta, as i was discussing this very subject with a friend recently. Family aside, i actually do care more about several of my online connections than i do anyone from real life. I don't visit you all as often as i should nor comment as often as i should, but if you weren't here one day, i would miss you. Seriously.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Thanks for that comment anne, my dear online-friend.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home