Sunday, September 11, 2005

# 56 WIND OR WATER?

I saw a flick on CNN today about insurance claims in the areas affected by Katrina. At one residence, an Insurance Adjuster was doing a laborious assessment. Her job? To separate wind damage from water damage. Important because this particular insurance policy covered wind damage but not water damage.

So she was trying to explain to the client and define for the client what was and what was NOT eligible for compensation. Now obviously such a task was pretty much an arbitrary exercise. And the client, notwithstanding, no doubt felt forced to accept whatever arbitrary decisions the adjuster made. Who could argue, and how could one argue? The one thing the client felt they could make a case for was the car that was parked under a breezeway and out of the rain. The storm has smashed the car and moved it a considerable distance away. Because it was parked in a sheltered area, surely one could say that loss was due to wind damage. But I expect even that was debatable.

I had to shake my head in dismay. What kind of thinking? The flooding was caused by hurricane winds. Without these powerful winds, there would have been no flood. So how does one separate the two?

That is about as nonsensical as saying that if a wind came up and toppled a large tree on my garage – the damage was due to the tree rather than the wind. It really amounts to the age old question - 'What came first, the chicken or the egg?'

Never took a course in Critical Thinking but maybe I need to cause I just don’t get it. Do you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You hit the nail on the head. I really feel that insurance companies are out there for one thing and one thing only our money. So what came first the chicken or the egg depends on how much money the insurance would like you have and how wuch they want to help you out.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Eliz said...

I didn't even bother calling an insurance adjuster after Katrina damaged my roof. What is the point? After all, I live in Florida -- designated "Land of Hurricane Landfall" -- and my hurricane deductible is a percentage of the worth of my house. Needless to say, I have a ridiculously high deductible.

As far as wind vs water damage... from what I've heard from past hurricane victims, the water damage is assessed from the ground up, wind from the roof down.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Eliz, I'm truly sorry for you or anyone who suffered damage from that storm. It is unfortunate that insurance companies are like my Dad used to say banks were in his day. He used to say the only way you could get a loan for a hundred bucks was to write out the agreement on a hundred dollar bill. That's pretty close to the attitude of insurance companies it seems to me.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home