Thursday, December 22, 2005

# 89 ANGELS SINGING - PART I

This morning I answered my phone and immediately heard this direct, but astounding announcement.

"Mom, I know what angels sound like because I’ve heard them."

Inconceivable as it sounded, I did not laugh. In fact I had no desire to laugh. I can generally tell when Eldest Daughter (ED) is serious and when she is bluffing and I knew by the tone of her voice that she wasn’t bluffing. There was silence for a few moments as I churned about in my mind what she might have heard.

Whatever it was, there is a reasonable explanation. Perhaps she heard a radio playing in her sleep. Maybe she heard the song of a bird. Or the fluted sound of the wind. Or perhaps she heard the crackling-cellophane sound of the Northern Lights coming out of the heavens. Or a chorus of these notes.

"There is no way to describe it. It was so beautiful," she continued. (This coming from someone who has listened to the whole spectrum of music. Golden Oldies, Hillbilly Country, but mostly popular Hard Rock or Rap that I can’t bare to listen to).

At this point, I could only think of one question to ask. "Where did you hear them—you know, the angels?"

"At a Christmas Concert at the Colony. I went with my friend from the Colony and while the children were changing scenes for their play, in the darkness I heard voices singing throughout the room. Sounds so haunting. So soft and pure. Like nothing I have ever heard before. No music—only the sweet, sweet, harmony of women’s voices. I knew instantly it was the sound of angels. And I cried.

Here I am at a fun-filled celebration, surrounded by happy faces, and everyone, including my friend, is looking at me because I am sobbing like a baby. No Kleenex, of course. You know how we are, Mom. We never have Kleenex when we need it. All I could do was sniffle and mop my eyes and nose on my sleeve. But I managed to record a bit of one song on my cell phone."

I was still trying to fit the pieces together. I could tell ED was not making this stuff up. And so I’m thinking, ‘It happened before to shepherds in a field a very long time ago. So it could happen again—you know—the angels singing.’

ED is coming on Christmas Day. She promised to bring her cell-phone. As for me, I have no grand gifts under my tree to open but I’m as excited about this Christmas as when I was a child. I can’t wait. ED heard angels singing and I’m going to hear them too.

I’ll get some Kleenex.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about angels lately, that we all have guardian angels to comfort and protect us. It seems that your daughter is indeed blessed to have actually heard them singing.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Hi esther, nice to see you as it gives me and Hub and the rest of the family an opportunity to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas! May the new year bring abundant joy and blessings.

As for the 'singing angels', I may write more once I have heard the bit of recording on ED's cell phone. But then if I react like she did (you know -- the big weeping), I might not. Hub says it's bad business to spill water or coffee on the computer keyboard.

moodymama, thanks for the warm wishes. I left my little card over at your place.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

I do hope that you'll tell us about the angels, even if it means typing through a waterproof covering on your keyboard. :) I've felt angels, but never heard them, so am anxiously awaiting your description. What a lovely thought to leave us with, at this time of year especially.

A very, very Merry Christmas to you and all of your dear ones!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

eleanor, nice to know you are following along. I will be discussing this more -- after all it is at the crux of one of the great events of my ineventful existence. And I do have a piece of plastic sheeting handy for my keyboard and a box of Kleenex standing by. ;)

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi its Mark from Australia here one night i was camping in a place called the Grampians in Victoria.
Myself and a friend were sitting around the campfire and we both heard the most beautiful singing we both sat there for roughly one hour lost in this wonderful sound. We then turned to each other and said Can you hear that? We were both very relieved. Im not religious but it was the sound of Angels.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was some 15 years ago. Once I heard the music, I dont know whether it is from angels. It was the music of violin. So beautiful as If I was in heaven. It last for few seconds only. As I woke up, I told to myself why did I get up.Still I remember.I would like to hear again. Please pray for that.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home