Sunday, February 19, 2006

# 114 FILE UNDER 'TECHNICAL' OR 'GREAT MINDS'

When it comes to techy stuff, there are two kinds of Personalities – you’re either A or B. And here is how they differ.

(A) Techy stuff is easy. As easy as breathing.
(B) Techy stuff is ‘tuff’. So scary, so mysterious. Too intimidating to ever tackle alone.

I belong to group (B).

Let’s not discuss how long I’ve been planning to update my blog links. But today I finally did it. Hub was at work, so I had to do it alone. And I also had to ignore one of Hub's two critical rules.

(1) “Don’t touch my power tools when I’m not here. You’ll hurt yourself”, and
(2) “Don’t try anything techy. You’ll just create a problem that will take me a week to fix.”

But since I operate on impulse, rather than calendared planning I picked today to do techy stuff. And true to my B personality, I expected it to be ‘tuff’. And with this expectation deeply ingrained in my mind – the expectation became a self-fulfilling prophecy. (You know, the old thing about ‘you get what you plan for or expect to get!’)

In fact, at one point a big red-lettered sign popped up that said “WARNING! Do You Really Want to Do This?” In my frustration, I said, “YES!” Then I reconsidered the recklessness of that act and backed up to the previous screen and said, “I Changed My Mind.” And just like Hub and the kids do in my moments of indecision, the Computer ignored me. But thankfully, despite this, I still have a blog, I have updated links and they seem to be working, and I guess that’s all that I hoped for.

Prior to tackling this task, I looked up the definition of “Great Minds.” Just to assure myself I was up to it. Because as long as I fit in the category of a ‘great mind’, I should be able to do it. So, if you want to know, ‘great minds’ are those that are capable of doing something ‘influential’ and ‘innovative’. I had half a mind that I was ‘capable’ but faith in my ‘innovation’ was extremely weak.

Nevertheless, though anxious and apprehensive, I tried it and it seems to have worked. I’ve proved I’m capable of being ‘innovative’. But now I’m faced with the ‘influencial’ part of the task – and I assume that would be contacting the administrator of the listing of “Great Minds of the Millennium” to get my name added to the list. So now that I’m going to be part of the “Great Minds Fellowship”, what’s next?

Applause, I would think. NOTE: Clapping IS allowed in the comments section as long as it doesn’t cause a technical problem. I wanted to ask you to throw dimes but Hub said they “always get tangled up in the QHxI tangent tron and the radical device”.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pyjama Diva said...

*clapping madly*

Well done, Roberta! I have a B-type brain, too, but am gaining confidence with the techno stuff. After a few years of clicking and praying, I've realized that a lot of the fear is unfounded ... most of the time. ;)

Be bold, dear lady, and continue to venture forth into the great unknown!

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have to venture forth with book & torch when something techy has to be done so I can identify. I have the added problem of being a guy & it's in the contract that we don't read the instructions until all else has failed.

That having been said, touch wood, I've found TypePad quite the most user-friendly piece of bloggery I've ever tried. You have to try really hard to screw it up.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Thanks for the encouragement, eleanor.

dick, your sympathy and encouragement are appreciated as well.

I have heard more than one person rave about 'typepad' so I'll keep that in mind as a form of preparedness for a disaster-recovery plan for sometime in the future.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an empowering post! feel as if i've been renewed after reading too many aint-it-awful comments on blogs. thanks

4:19 PM  
Blogger goldenlucyd said...

Roberta:
I loved your post and your comment on my blog. Thanks for the encouraging words. So glad you didn't stop blogging. Newbies (a term my son intrduced me to) like me need you! Keep up your wonderful writing.
Lucy

7:18 PM  
Blogger Roberta S said...

Hi Lucy, I'm so honored you stopped by. Thanks for the warm greetings. I hope you find total enjoyment in your blogging efforts. I know I'm going to thoroughly enjoy reading them.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home